Georgia Movers Association checks each member’s GADMVS certificate, workers’ compensation and liability insurance coverage and reputation before accepting them as a GaMA member. We recommend these steps for a successful move.
WEEK 12 – 9
- Establish who will be paying for your move, whether it be your company or yourself.
- Decide the dates when you want to move.
- Begin selecting a mover. Obtain estimates from different companies and select the one that best meets your needs.
- Make arrangements in your new town for residency.
WEEK 8 – 6
- Make final selection on mover. Meet with your mover to discuss all details: cost insurance, packing, loading, delivery, and claims procedures.
- Begin change of address process.
- This is a good time for spring cleaning. Decide on items that you do not want to move and have a garage sale.
- Check on school enrollment requirements.
- Organize car drivers license and tag requirements.
- Call your home and car insurance agents to discuss coverage in your new town.
- Choose a bank and establish accounts.
WEEK 5 – 4
- Arrange for school records to be transferred to new town.
- Now is the time to get appraisals on antiques, or items of high value.
- Decide on travel arrangements. Make hotel reservations.
- Send change of address cards.
- Get copies of all records such as medical, veterinarian, accountants, schools, etc.
- Contact the utility company about the termination of service date, and also notify the new utilities of the start of service date in your new town.
- Confirm moving dates with your mover.
- If you are planning on packing yourself, begin packing.
- Apartment dwellers make arrangements for movers to use elevator on your move day.
- If necessary arrange for storage of household goods.
- Have furniture or carpets cleaned or repaired.
- Have any repairs made on your new home.
WEEK OF MOVE
- Make special arrangements for transporting pets and plants.
- Transfer prescriptions.
- Discontinue delivery services.
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- If traveling by car have your car serviced.
- Pack your personal belongings that you are taking with you.
- Arrange for cash/traveler’s checks for trip expenses, and cash/certified check for payment to mover.